Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Last Day of August



Well, its been a great summer!  It began with a cruise and it will end with what is planned to be “Rib Fest” 2011, a gathering of amazing friends, loving family and superb food! 

In between these events, there were job interviews, sunny days by the pool, earthquakes and hurricanes, moving my son to Grad school, lunching with my daughter, loss of electricity, gaining of appreciation for my present job and listening to the birds sing. 

I love listening to the birds sing.  They were just at it a moment ago, but it is as if though they know I am writing about them and so they have quieted down. Perhaps their song is meant to be private. 

As I sit here, waiting for the birds to once again begin their serenade, I can’t help but think of all the changes this summer has ushered in.  My son moving away is the most major of the changes.  I’ve written about it before, but it definitely has altered everything.  I am so happy for him, but I miss him.  He is such good company when he’s home.  He’s funny and smart, we talk about life, politics, science and social issues.  He is dedicated to science and using it to make life healthier for everyone.  His girlfriend is supportive, intelligent, and beautiful.  I am so proud of him, of both of them.

My daughter and I enjoyed so many fun times this summer.  With me being under-employed, the shopping trips are less, but the times we spend just sitting together by the pool are some of the best of the summer.  We tanned and swam and talked for hours on end.  She is a teacher and she will be a great teacher this coming year!  Her love for children and her enjoyment watching them learn is inspiring.  I know that soon she and her boyfriend will be moving to a home together and I am so happy for her, for both of them.  He is such a great guy and they are very in-love.  Seeing them together is wonderful and makes my heart smile.  But, when she moves out, I will miss her with all my heart.  It will be just my husband and I, and my mom then, time marches on.

Empty nesters.  My husband and I will be empty nesters.  When did we get this old?  We were just the young ones, having young children, busy with the first day of school and Halloween parades, now, we are heading toward over 55 communities!

Judging by how quickly time has moved along, I see that there truly is no time like the present.  I read Eckert Tolle and “The Power of Now” years ago, but it has recently hit me that my ‘nows’ are fewer and I have to make the best use of them.  No one knows how much time we have in this world, but as we age, we definitely know the time is dwindling.  I hope to make the most of this day, and every day.  I hope to be sure those I love know I love them, deeply and truly.  I want to be certain to appreciate all the beauty that surrounds me and open my arms and my heart to what will hopefully be a productive, happy time, even as times are certainly changing.

Change can bring new joys, and new experiences to treasure.  Hey, the birds are singing again!! What a beautiful sound!


No comments: