Monday, August 15, 2011

The Time Has Come


We started out early in the morning, made the four hour drive with cars loaded, and arrived at my son's new apartment.  It is truly a lovely apartment.  He and his girlfriend chose wisely.  The apartment was in great shape.  New carpet, new kitchen appliances, fresh paint.......it's spacious and has a nice flow.  I can see why they picked this location.


We spent the next 36 hours bringing in furniture and food, dishes and bedding.  Their mattress was delivered promptly and we even had a dinette set and a new sofa bed brought in before we left the next day.  Grocery shopping was done, refrigerator and cabinets are now stocked.  Shelves and tv stands are built, internet is connected, all systems go.......so, we had to.


The time arrived to say good-bye.  Wow.  Difficult is an understatement.  I knew it would be hard, everyone told me to expect that, and being the over-protective, worrying Mom I am, I knew it would be extra tough....but this tough?


I think my husband and I cried for the first 100 miles of the ride.  It didn't matter that it wasn't raining, the water falling from our eyes provided the same condition.  We consoled each other that he was doing what he wanted, that this is his dream and always has been.  Since he was a little boy, my son always wanted to go into scientific research, hopefully finding a cure for cancer one day.  Big goals, but if anyone can do it, it's him.  It does help knowing he is doing this for all the right reasons.  He is pursuing his dream and he might just help millions by doing so.  I am so very proud of him.  At times, his compassionate intelligence is downright startling.  He is in the right place......for now.


He is in the right place.  I'll say that again.  I know that to be true.  This is the best program, well-funded, well-organized and just right.  We'll adjust and this will be the new norm for us all.  But, it will take time.  Yesterday I cried in the refrigerator aisle of the grocery store as I passed by the vegetarian sausage I used to buy for him every week...but didn't need to buy it this week.  So, for a little while, when you see a middle-aged woman crying in the refrigerator aisle, just know, she'll be okay.....eventually.

No comments: