Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Today is my Daughter's Birthday!!


Twenty-eight years ago today I gave birth to my precious, beloved daughter.  I vividly remember lying in the labor room with my husband by my side. I could hear the traffic outside as early-risers were heading to work on a Tuesday morning.  How could this be just another day for them? 
By this time of the morning, labor had gone on for almost 9 hours. I was exhausted and nervous.  The fetal monitor made an alarming sound and the doctor rushed in, afraid she wasn’t getting enough oxygen.  They made me lie on my left side as they placed oxygen on my nose and mouth.  
The room was quiet except for the beeping of the monitor.  The glass partition to the hallway suddenly opened and I expected to see another physician, but, miraculously, it was my Dad.
He tiptoed over and bent down gently to reach me. Quietly he whispered in my ear, “I had to tell them I had something important to tell you in order to get in the room. And I do.  I want you to know how much I love you, how proud I am of you.”  And with those words, I knew everything would be okay. He gave me a soft kiss on my cheek as he looked deeply into my eyes.  I will never forget his look of love and support.  As always, he was there for me.
Six hours later, my amazing daughter entered the world.  The happiness that filled my heart that moment has only grown larger and deeper. With every stage of her life the love and pride in my heart just keeps growing. I look at her and I am filled with awe and inspiration.
My daughter’s birthday is today.  She means the world to me.  She makes me laugh; she brings love, compassion, humor, joy, pride, and friendship.  She is smart, thoughtful, caring, funny and just all around amazing.  I am so proud of her, of who she was as a little girl and who she has become as a woman.  I am impressed and so very thankful for her - always. 
From the moment she entered the world, the world became a magnificent place.  Wherever she goes, she makes everything better.  Like my Father’s kiss, she encourages me. The love my Dad once showered on me, the knowledge that he was always there to support me through that intense look of love in his eyes at that special moment, I hope she knows I pass that love on to her.
To my precious daughter, I love you with all my heart and soul.  I wish you all the love, joy, happiness and success your heart can hold. May good health, peace and love be with you, always. Happy Birthday, Sweetheart! Thank you for being you!

3 comments:

Alex said...

I love you!!!! <3

Jena said...

Sharon I just realized this is you! This so made me cry! you've done a great job with Lauren, we all love her too. That was a loong labor girl!

A Woman's Room said...

Thanks, Jena! I wish I could take credit for the woman Lauren is, but she was just always sweet and good, it's who she is!