Monday, August 1, 2011

Deeply Beautiful


           
             In a world of stone cottages and beautiful flowers, with the scent of summer in the air and family by my side, the day is perfect.  The morning air is light on my skin and the temperature is warm, just right for a walk in the country.  Whenever my troubles get the best of me, I try to return to that day in mid-June.  A day in Cherbourg, France, a day of serenity and beauty like I’ve never experienced before.
            It was only a short time ago that I was there, walking in the midst of all that beauty.  Hard to believe now with so many worries, anxieties, hassles, crashing all around me, that the time truly existed in reality.  How could it be?  How could such a perfect day exist?  How long until the next day like that and is it possible to make that feeling a real part of every day?
            Of course being on vacation has a feel all its own.  There are no beds to be made, no dinners to cook, no schedules to keep.  But, that being said, there is something special about a location so full of beauty that it captivates every sense.  The smells, the sounds, the sights, all of them breathtaking in their magnificence; the beauty permeates into your soul and a feeling of deep peace enters and makes its home there.  I can’t imagine the luxury of living in such beauty, day in and day out.  Would it become commonplace?  Is that possible?  Do the inhabitants of this luxury take it for granted?  Is that simply human nature?
            I watched, standing by the water, as a man worked getting his fishing boat out.  I’m sure it was not an easy task and as he worked the knots and pushed the boat along, did he see the beauty that was around him or did he see another day at work?  Was he worrying about the fish he would catch that day, and thinking what would be if he didn’t catch enough?  Now that I am home on my computer, is he out there on his boat, surrounded by all that beauty, worrying about all the things that could go wrong, or is he soaking in his surroundings?  I hope he is appreciating the lovely part of this world that he inhabits every day.  I hope I have the ability to carry the beauty of Cherbourg with me and use it to appreciate the beauty of my own life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully stated...