Thursday, August 4, 2011

Just One Week


One week until my son moves 4 hours away.  One more week of having him home, hearing him on the computer, having meals together, knowing he’s awake, knowing he’s asleep.  Just one more week of life like this. 

Next week, life changes.  It changes the way it’s supposed to change.  As a parent, all I want is for my children to be healthy, happy, productive, loved and safe.  I know I won’t be here forever, so they need to be able to make their way, and thankfully, both my son and my daughter are intelligent, competent, and making decisions that are thoughtful and positive.  I admire each of them so very much and am excited about the prospects that are ahead for them.

But, he’s still leaving next week.  He’ll be taking another step toward his future goals, and it’s a great step, but it’s a giant leap from childhood this time.  He’s making his own money and living on his own with his amazing girlfriend.  I love the way they support and laugh together and the deep love they have found together.  But, he’s leaving next week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't have kids, but that resonated with me regardless.