Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Today, I had lunch………



I originally took today off from work to go on a second interview, the interview from the story written on this blog earlier today.  However, since I decided that position was not for me, today was a free day, wide-open for sharing with my daughter and my Mom.

A few weeks ago, my daughter and I went to a terrific Mexican restaurant for lunch.  We've been thinking about the great food since that time and decided today was the perfect day to go back and enjoy another feast!  My Mom, my daughter and I sat at the beautifully ornate table and talked about the food, the surroundings, the music, it was relaxing and very enjoyable.  After lunch, as I was driving home, the Harry Chapin song, “The Cat’s in the Cradle” came on the radio.  I started singing along, but before I knew it, my voice left me and tears fell from my eyes.  I wiped them away before anyone noticed, but the song really hit home.  That particular song always reminds me of a story someone told me a long time ago.  I don’t know where the story came from, but it’s one I always hold close to my heart.

The story begins with little boy asking his Dad how much money he earns per hour.  The Dad wonders why the question is being asked, but simply answers (and this story was told to me a LONG time ago) $20 per hour.  The father then returns to reading his paper. 

The little boy then asks his father if he could borrow ten dollars.  The father becomes angry at not only the constant interruption when he’s trying to relax, but also the fact that his son apparently just wanted money for something, probably some silly game that 'all the kids' are playing!

The father yells at his son, tells him to leave him alone.  He goes on to say he needs to relax and tells his son to go to his room.  With tears in his eyes, the little boy sadly climbs the stairs to his room. 

After calming down, the father reflects on the situation and decides to go to his son’s room, perhaps he really needs the money for something important.  So he walks into his son’s room.  He sees his son has fallen asleep, fully dressed, and wakes him gently.  He offers him the ten dollars and is about to ask why he needs it when his son reaches under his pillow and pulls out 10 crumpled dollar bills. 

Now the father is really angry.  “Why did you ask me for money when you already have money under your pillow?”  The little boy looks at his Dad and says he needed the other $10 because without it, he didn’t have enough.  “Enough for what?” his father asks. 

“Enough to buy an hour of your time.”, his son states.

This story, which someone shared with me, so long ago, is always in my heart and mind.  There is nothing more precious than time with my children.  Nothing.  No matter how stressed, how crazy life gets, the greatest gift, one that requires no money, is time shared.  I am so thankful for all the times my children share with me. 

To my wonderful children, I love you.




2 comments:

Karen S said...

Great story!
PS - I love feeding the fish :-)

A Woman's Room said...

Thanks, Karen!! And thanks for feeding the fish! (I always do, too!)

Have a wonderful Labor Day Weekend!!