Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Living in the Unknown



Even those who think they have it all figured out, don't. Life throws curve balls at each of us, we know it and we're usually ready to either duck the pitch or hit it straight on.  Hitting straight on is the best option since then you take off, you run the bases, you succeed. Ducking only saves that pitch from smacking you in the head, but the next one will hurl towards you before you know it.


With that crazy baseball analogy in hand (and I'm not even a baseball fan) it's time for me to learn to hit the ball in the stands.  No ducking, no fouls.  I get distracted; crowd noise, concessions, mascots, they all take attention away from what I need to focus on.  I hear conflicting advice from caring people, I have errands I need to do, and politics and news events sidetrack me.  All these occurrences change my focus. They cause me to spend time not thinking about what I need to think about, they're distractions - pure and simple and I allow them to cause me to duck.

Okay, I'm focusing, but my mind turns blank at first. I'm closing my eyes and typing.  Weird how that always seems to help - closes out the distractions, freeing my mind from thought and just letting the feelings spill out.

Obviously, writing is my passion.  Whether I'm a decent writer or not, I can't say, but it is in my soul. That's all well and good, but it's not going to pay the bills - or is it? Finding a job writing, is that really possible?  Perhaps making this blog open to the world of advertising?  Could this be what I am meant to do? 

I don't want to duck the pitches anymore; it's time to hit the ball out of the park.  May the concessions give me energy, may the cheers unite behind me and may the mascot give me courage!  Batter-up!!

No comments: