Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Interview Update



With all the excitement about Hurricane Irene, I forgot to write about last week's interview!  This was the first interview I've attended where I decided the job was not for me.  Afterward, after further discussion with family and close friends, I cancelled the second interview that was set for today.  There is no point wasting their time or mine.

Now that I’ve given away the ending, I’ll explain the story…

Last Thursday morning I donned my interview suit, printed copies of my resume and references, and drove to the bank with optimistic thoughts. I won’t say what bank it was, suffice it to say I didn’t use my stagecoach to get there!

As I walked into the bank, a nicely dressed gentleman greeted me. I told him I was early for my 9:30 interview, and he ushered me to a row of seats where I could comfortably wait.

From my vantage point, I could watch the tellers, see the safe deposit vault and hear and see a gentleman whose desk was right in the middle of everything.  Perhaps he was the head Branch Yenta, as he seemed to make himself a part of every discussion.

I had plenty of time to observe and try to absorb the activity in the bank.  The tellers were standing.  I suppose they stand all day in that one spot, apparently them being given a seat is not in the bank’s interest.  The bank wasn’t especially busy; with the storm coming, most people were likely out shopping for flashlights and batteries, although, every so often, a customer walked in and approached the tellers.  Without intentionally trying to eavesdrop, I heard their conversations clearly due to the way sound travelled.  (When thinking about it now, it’s probably designed intentionally so the higher-ups can hear what the tellers are discussing.)

Only a short time after my scheduled interview was to begin, the woman I was to speak with came out to greet me.  She brought me into the Branch Manager’s office where he was seated behind his desk.  The woman had a chair ready beside him and I was on the opposite side of the desk.  The arrangement definitely was not conducive to a welcoming feeling.

They began the interview by stating they would ask me a series of situations and I was to explain my course of action if the question was hypothetical or use my prior experience if the situation warranted.  Some of the questions were actually quite good, such as why I wanted to work for a bank, and I would think they could learn a lot about me from their questions, which is great for them. However, they certainly didn’t seem to care to explain much about the open position, in fact, they offered no explanation at all. 

I answered each of their questions thoughtfully and carefully.  I felt as though I was under arrest.  All they needed was harsh lighting and metal chairs and the ambiance would have been complete. 

After the questioning,  I already had the feeling that I was not comfortable in these surroundings.

They never did explain much about the opening, even after I asked.  All I learned is this position was not only low paying; it was also extremely high pressure!  Who needs that?  I could feel the heavy-handed, condescending attitude very strongly.  (And I was just a ‘visitor’!)  This was not a constructive atmosphere and certainly not a place I would want to spend any extended period of time.

I always heard that an interview goes both ways; they are interviewing you and you should be interviewing them.  However, this was the first time, in all my years and all my interviews, that I actually realized this to be true.  Even if they offered me this position, I didn’t want it.

Honestly, I am glad I went and even happier that when I discussed the position with family and friends they agreed with me that this was not a good move for me personally or professionally.  The interview and the potential position allowed me to appreciate all the good things about the retail job I currently have!  I work with a dear friend who is the Manager, I have decent hours and there is no pressure (except to collect email addresses)!  My job is fun at times, light-hearted even when we are working hard! Everyone cares for each other and we definitely work as a team.  We get our work done, but it’s with a smile, an honestly felt smile.

In other words, going on this interview allowed me to appreciate where I presently work.  I will never make a lot of money at my current job, but at least if I’m working for low pay, I am happy!

3 comments:

jena said...

Go Sharon! Yeah those big companies just use ppl up and spit them out. You write beautifully, it really took me there. And I didn't wanna be there either!!

A Woman's Room said...

Thanks, Jena!!

Alex Headrick said...

Great post! You're totally right avoiding a job where the interview felt like a police interrogation.

Keep at it, and the best of luck to you finding a job where you can use your skills and they're not maniacs.