Thursday, September 1, 2011

I Need More Thyme!



My in-laws are coming for dinner tonight and I decided to make Chicken Marsala ahead of time.  But, as I reached for the bottle of thyme, I realized, I need more thyme!  I am almost out of thyme!  I can’t properly prepare my Weight Watcher chicken Marsala recipe when I don’t have enough thyme!  I don’t even have enough time to go out and buy thyme!  What to do when you’re out of thyme…. try to substitute, but is there a substitute for thyme?  Not really. Without thyme, the recipe is changed.  Thyme is definitely a vital ingredient!

This makes me think of the other time, the one that is so important to life, after all, it is called a lifetime.  And, it is that lack of time that is preventing me from going out to buy the thyme I need right now.

Of course, if I hadn’t wasted thyme before, using it in recipes when it wasn’t called for, I would have plenty of thyme now.  So, I am making a resolution this very second; from now on, I will put thyme/time to good use. 

Have I wasted too much time, the more important time?  Certainly I have.  Naturally, there are times when I have wasted time.  You know the times, when you’re too early for something so you kill time.  But, that’s really a shame when I think about it.  Killing time should be a crime. 

Time is limited.  Like the thyme in a seasoning bottle, when it’s full you are more inclined to sprinkle it liberally…. as it nears the end, you’re more careful with it. 

Just as I was thinking about the relationship of thyme and time, I mindlessly knocked over the bottle of thyme!  Can you believe it? Of all times to waste thyme!! As I watched the bottle fall off the counter, spiraling until it hit the floor, I tried to catch the thyme, but I just couldn’t grasp it!  The circling air from ceiling fan hit the loose seasoning and blew it around the kitchen.  Precious little sprigs of dried thyme landed on the floor, the counter, in the sink.  It is now thyme that will be thrown away.  As I cleaned it, I thought it odd to say I had thyme on my hands when at the same time, I was now completely out of thyme.  I know, it sounds like “Who’s on first”, but it’s the truth.  That was definitely wasted thyme. 

I guess it shows that even with the best intentions, there will be times when time/thyme is not used well.

I hope you have a good time today.  Use it wisely.

No comments: