Monday, September 26, 2011

My “All My Children” Family



For the last forty-one years I have lived with, cried with, and laughed with my All My Children family.  Since 1970, when I was a 12-year-old Junior high school student, the soap, All My Children, has been part of my life.  ABC’s decision to cancel the drama is comparable to losing touch with close family, close friends. 

By watching this amazing drama unfold over these many years I have watched and learned that each of us has the capacity for incredible good and unbelievable evil.  The characters were so deeply developed that they truly felt real.  Watching them grow and change, seeing how external situations were interpreted offered a deeper understanding to all of humanity.  I’ve observed the power of love and community.  I’ve witnessed how those qualities not only help ease hard times but also offer hope of a brighter tomorrow.  I feel as though I have experienced so much with those who lived in Pine Valley.  After 41 years of spending every afternoon with them, how could I feel otherwise?

All My Children has tackled some very difficult social issues.  Race relations, homosexuality, struggles of our veterans, rape, murder, crimes of hate, crimes of passion, sickness and adultery were all handled with honesty and truth.  The pain caused by each issue was not avoided, but unfolded in such a way that the viewer could relate, possibly for the first time, to issues that were never given much attention before, never truly thought about, in our daily lives. 

On days when I felt alone, at 1 PM I could turn on All My Children, and all of a sudden, I wasn’t alone anymore!  My friends and family were right there!  When I was a new Mom, Brooke English had just given birth to her daughter, Laura, on the show.  I had someone I could relate to.  I had adult conversation in the house, when that was otherwise not easy to find.  Role models, living lives of what could be aspired to were all around.  The strength and ability of the characters to rise above adversity and flourish, will these attributes be found on a cooking show?  Of course not!!

I am sad for the stories that will not continue.  Stories so familiar to me, I feel  as though I can reach out and touch them.  Zach and Kendall, Brooke and Adam, Erica and Jackson, Angie and Jessie, Jake and Amanda, Tad and Dixie.  And what about all their children?  Mostly, however, I am sad for my fellow viewers.  To all of us who incorporated All My Children into our daily lives, who grew up right along with the characters, who enjoyed their companionship through four decades of our lives, I share my sorrow.

Future generations of television watchers will never know the comfort found with this daily, consistent companionship and humanity that All My Children provided.  I certainly hope All My Children continues on-line.  Network television is digging their own grave with their thirst to save money, their willingness to provide the drivel that is a cooking show when there is an entire channel donated to such programming.  Of course they won’t have to pay for writers, actors, sets, wardrobe, etc….all they’ll need is some cookware and a stove, I hope they know how many of us refuse to watch.

My DVR will no longer be running at 1 PM.  My daughter and I, who watched All My Children together every evening, will have to turn to old episodes on Youtube.  My daughter has been watching the show her entire life ~ even before she knew it, it was on!

To all those who worked on All My Children, please know how deeply you will be missed. The world does not need another inexpensive, empty cooking show telling us how to quickly put dinner on the table.  We’ve been accomplishing that ourselves for years.  What the world does need is more evidence of the power of love and community.  We need to realize that all the world’s children ARE All My Children.

ABC has committed a great disservice.  They have rewarded our 41 years of loyalty with a smack in the face.  The bruise they have caused will not heal easily.  Even Dr. David Hayward will be unable to breath life back into this dead network.

Thank you Agnes Nixon, for all the years you’ve welcomed us as visitors to Pine Valley.  It has been a true pleasure and honor to know you and all your children!

No comments: