Saturday, February 4, 2012

It's February?



Cold winds blowing, snow piling up outside, frost covered windshields, warm soups and stews, fireplace blazing and snuggling under a warm blanket, these are the activities that usually convey the fact that February is here.  But this year none of those things fit the circumstances.  The weather is actually lovely, mid fifties (like my age); sunshine and frozen yogurt are filling the days.  It’s wonderful and terrifying at the same time.

I absolutely detest and am completely fearful about driving in the snow; I am one of those people that everyone complains about when driving in the snow.  “What is she doing?”  “Why is she out here driving?” But even worse than my driving is the idea that those I love are out driving in the dangerous conditions.  The icy roads that have caused so many fearful times have always been my least favorite aspect of this time of year.  So, you would think I would be thankful that those conditions have not, as of yet, been a major factor of this year’s weather.  I am and I’m not.  It’s just not normal; it’s just not right.

All along the east coast temperatures are consistently above normal.  Although a few, small snow events have occurred, nothing compared to most years.  The weather has actually been quite pleasant.  How long will it be until global climate change means we can keep our pool and hot tub open all year; from there, how long until we are all under water?

I can’t help but be amazed when I hear folks saying global warming is a hoax.  Do they not have eyes?  Are they so brainwashed by the oil company “scientists” and right wing media that they can no longer live in a fact based reality?  The resurgence of creationism and a complete lack of respect for science are mind-blowing.  Whether or not they choose to listen to the fact that global climate change is occurring and that it is, in great part, due to man’s actions, why not do all the things to keep it from getting worse anyway?  What harm is there to protect the planet, even if you don’t believe you are responsible for its denigration?  Do they want to be beholding to the middle-east countries and humongous oil companies that control the oil supply?  If so, why?

Today, my husband and I ran errands early in the morning.  We wore heavy jackets out of habit and respect for winter.  They were not necessary.  People are in stores, walking outside, riding bicycles, as if it is late April.  Short sleeves have never been packed away, ski slopes are making snow when they can, sleds and mittens are sitting on the shelves in stores while people are requesting Frisbees and hula hoops.  It’s weird.

I wish you all a wonderful day!  It’s February – buy your Valentine a hot dog and an ice cream cone and have a picnic in the park ~

Enjoy because tomorrow might bring a blizzard and then the deniers will be running around saying “I told you so”.  …as if it matters!

No comments: