Tuesday, February 14, 2012

For Valentine's Day ~ And Every Day!




Today is Valentine’s Day…. how’s that for an emotion grabbing first line?  Not so hot you say?  Well, you’re absolutely right and I would rework it except it is Valentine’s Day ~ and, I wish you all a lovely day!

You see, I’m reading a book right now that is truly inspiring.  The book, “Conversations with G-d”, is one my nephew, Scott, told me about years ago.  Scott found a lot of inspiration in this book and even after he passed, for whatever reason, I didn’t take the time to read it.  But, two weeks ago, my daughter and I were in the library just looking around and I turned to find the book staring me in the face!  It was calling me.  Someone before me left the book standing on its end on top of the shelf, pages tantalizingly open.  My reading glasses were in my purse, but miraculously, I didn’t need them.  The book was in large print!  I could not dismiss the sign.  I had to take the book out.

Since that day I’ve been reading the book, slowly, as there is so much to digest.   After each few pages I have to just sit back and let the information sink into my thoughts.  So much of what is written is so true and powerful.  I highly recommend the book to anyone interested; I think everyone of us could gain by reading it in its entirety.

One of the main ideas the book puts forward is that there are really only two emotions in the world, fear and love.  This really struck a chord with me.  I look around the world and see so much violence and nastiness and it springs from fear!  Fear of people different from us, fear of “what if”, fears of the unknown, these fears have grabbed so many hearts!  

When motivated to do something or say something, I’m now trying to think first about the origin of the thought and the impact it might have.  Is my thought coming from a place of fear or of love?  If out of fear, probably not much positive will come of it, unless of course I’m being chased by a gorilla…. but that truly isn’t a usual, daily occurrence.

Actions that spring from love are more apt to result in goodness, either to the one doing the acting or the person or persons receiving the results of the action or both.  If we all act from love, wouldn’t love and goodness be the common experience we would all enjoy on a daily basis?  Isn’t that what life is really all about?

I have a lot more to read in this wonderful book, and I highly recommend you pick up a copy – in large print if necessary.  My nephew, Scott, was a brilliant person.  His light and love are obviously still shining.

Have a wonderful Valentine’s Day.  As the Beatles proudly sang, “Love is ALL you need”!  Truer words were never spoken.


No comments: