Friday, March 30, 2012

A Refreshing Interview!!



I walked into this particular interview not knowing what to expect.  The open position was a foot in the door, a very promising, lovely door into a company that I have heard only terrific things about.  I trusted the words of those who led me to this company, but thought they were too glowing to be real.  They weren’t.

With my resume, application, and references in hand, I walked to the receptionist, told her my name and who I was there to see.  The busy woman was answering questions and directing people on the telephone, a phone that rang constantly.  She was putting this one on hold, talking to that one, agreeing that it was a lovely day to a passing co-worker and handing me the necessary “Visitor” badge and sign in sheet.  I’ve never seen anyone do so many things so well in such a short time!

While I waited for the Human Relations Manager, Kathy, to greet me (I was way too early) I was very busy checking out my surroundings.  In front of me a poster on the wall described the many reasons why working for this company was such a positive experience.  There were many reasons listed that all showed the care and consideration they provide their employees.  I was impressed.  Next to the poster was a company photo, everyone full of broad, happy smiles.  Under the photo was an outline of the same with everyone’s name listed.  This listing clearly showed that everyone had a place of value and significance; it was as if it was a large, happy family.  So far, so good!!

Five minutes before my scheduled meeting time, Kathy came to usher me into her office.  A lovely, classy woman, Kathy’s broad smile and kind eyes welcomed me immediately.  By the time we reached her office, I felt at home.  I know that sounds crazy and maybe it is, but it is true.  We spoke for about a half hour.  I may have told her more than she expected, but I felt at ease and comfortable being myself.  I explained my career desires, my concerns and hopes, and honestly expressed what I am looking for in a work situation.  She listened, truly listened, and offered constructive, valid advice and insight.  Obviously an intelligent woman, my impressions of this company were ever increasing.

As I waited for my next interview to begin, the Vice President of Human Relations came out and spoke with me.  We had been corresponding through email off and on for a couple of months and it was great to put the face with the name.  Another impressive, clearly professional woman!  When she returned to her office, I sat for another minute or two in the comfortable seats outside the HR area.  I listened to the calming quiet that enveloped the area, the welcome balloon that was slightly deflated, but still cheerful, was swaying to the breeze from the air vent. An open door gave me a clear view of the office across the way, a woman was busy working, concentrating. 

It felt wonderful.

Vicky appeared right on schedule and we shook hands and walked to her office just a short way away.  I still cannot believe that I didn’t know her before.  One word passed between us and I felt an instant connection to her.  As we talked, I felt as though I knew her for years.  Her warm smile, friendly approach, and willingness to REALLY see me rendered me almost speechless.  She holds a truly impressive talent for people.  As co-workers poked their heads in to ask her various questions it was obvious that this was a collaborative, hard-working but very supportive team.  Vicky is an impressive woman.  She knows her stuff.  Her competence is apparent, but beyond that, her caring came through loud and clear!  I would be so proud to work with her one day.

Honestly, I have a feeling that the position I went in to discuss will be offered to someone else, and I understand.  However, I am hopeful that one day another position that more closely fits my experience and talents will come up.  After all the interviews I have been on in this stage of my life, this one was special.  These women were special.  This company’s mission is special.

To Kathy and Vicky, thank you.  It was truly my pleasure and honor to meet you and I sincerely hope that you don’t mind if I do stay in touch.  It would be more than a thrill to one day be able to call you both co-workers.  Thank you for your time.

I may not have obtained a new position today, but I regained a hope for the future.  With Vicky’s help and guidance I feel more positive than I have in a long time.  To my brother who introduced me to and told me about this special company, I love you.

There are superb corporations out there, filled with warm, compassionate, friendly, wise people.  Hooray!!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sharon: Thank you for sharing your post with me. It sounds terrific. I've sent it to several co-workers. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit at ASI. We liked having you here as well. We will stay in touch. You are welcome to call me anytime. Regards, Vicky