Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Should I Buy that Lottery Ticket?



Decisions, decisions!!  There’s a long line in the local convenience store this morning.  The lottery might as well be a bazillion dollars, as any additional monetary help would be truly super right now!  As I watch the people in line, old men with deep wrinkles and red suspenders, young men in dusty work clothes, businesswomen in a hurry and moms with young children in their arms, the hope on all their faces is obvious. The dreams that live in all of us are strong and alive!

What would I do if I won bazillion dollars?  I’m standing in the middle of the bread and chip aisle contemplating that fact, as I seem to be heading into the line by an invisible push of hope and dreams.  If I won bazillion dollars I would first let my friends and family know they would never have to worry about money again. College loans, paid off; mortgages, gone; retirement set.  From there, each of them could then be free to do what they have always wanted to do, not what they have always had to do. 

My dream?  I’ve always wanted to own my own coffee house.  To own a welcoming, warm spot with lots of room for people to come in, enjoy some good, healthy food and rich, delicious coffee.  We could have speakers that would teach us about leading calm, productive, helpful lives; speakers that would inspire conversations about life, love, and happiness.  There could be music nights, poetry nights, a book club, even Weight Watcher meetings and recipe exchanges!  The atmosphere would be soothing and natural.  Each and every day I would not only get to know the “regulars” better but also I would be happy and fulfilled meeting new people every day!  What joy!

From there, after fixing up my house, updating my 70’s style bathrooms and putting in new flooring and windows, I would turn my sights to others.  With a bazillion dollars I could feed the hungry and shelter those who need help all around the world.  I would fund research so intelligent scientists, like my son, would be able to do all that is in their power to cure diseases like cancer and ALS.  I would invest in green energy and yes, I would donate to positive, progressive candidates who are more concerned with helping those in need than those who are not.

I was awoken from my revelry when the man behind the counter looked at me…"Ma’am", he said.  “May I help you?”

With that I realized my decision was made.  I was buying into the dream just like everyone ahead of me and behind me.

Hey, if you know me…wish me luck!  After all, we’re in this together! 


No comments: