Thursday, November 3, 2011

Lottery Dream is Kaput!




Okay, so I bought FOUR tickets to the lottery the other day while so tempted by “the dream”.  I purchased two Power Ball tickets and two Mega Millions.  Out of all four tickets, ONE number matched.  ONE!!  Now, luckily, that one number was the power ball number so I will win $2 of my $4 bet back.  But, this is why I don’t play the lottery.  I don’t win!

The thoughts of what I would do with all the winnings have plunked into the waste bin of broken dreams.   Now, I suppose, the trick going forward is to decide what to do with the ideas that now sit, crumpled, in that bin.  How can I possibly ever achieve even one of those lofty goals? 

Aside from my desire to write, which hopefully some people enjoy through this blog, my dream of opening my own, unique coffee house is the most realistic of everything I wrote and thought about.  To be honest, I came very close to realizing that dream many years ago.  A co-worker and I had actually reached the point of meeting with some businessmen who were offering a coffee house franchise opportunity. The franchise was named Ebenezer’s.  In those days, Starbucks was relatively new and Ebenezer’s was going to take their premise, add entertainment and more food options (this was before Starbucks added other food options of their own), and Ebenezer’s was going to storm ahead in the coffee business. 

Unfortunately, that plan fell through when the woman who was going to be my partner backed out.  As the time of handing over deposits grew closer, she felt it was too much of a financial risk being that she was a single mother.  I understood, but was utterly disappointed.  I could not buy into the franchise alone at the time due to my own financial constraints, so the bottom line was, the business was not to be.

I suppose, in retrospect, that result was for the best since that franchise never did succeed, anywhere.  But the image in my head of MY Coffee House…maybe called Grounds for Discussion, or even just My Coffee House, is still a dream I hold dear. 

Until I can find a way to make that dream a reality, I will continue with my other heart-felt dream, my love for writing.  It is truly cathartic and another way of growing and learning.  Until my coffee house exists, and probably even afterward, I sincerely hope you continue to enjoy drinking in what has been percolating in my brain.  Some days my thirst for communication leads me to a bold, strong, French roast, some days it’s more decaf.  But, either way, I hope you always find it satisfying and heart-warming.

Have a perky day!!


No comments: