Monday, August 13, 2012

A Birthday Filled Week!




This is the beginning of an important, meaningful, loving week for me.  This week holds two very special birthdays ~ my amazing daughter, Lauren’s, birthday and my terrific brother, Freddie’s, birthday, both born on the same day 31 years apart.  They both also share that birthday with my brother’s friend since his childhood through today (which is more than a few years!!).  These birthdays give me the chance to honor these beautiful people who mean so much.


My daughter is absolutely one of the nicest, most honest, funny, kind-hearted, thoughtful people I know.  From the moment she was born she made the sunshine brighter and my world sweeter.  She loves so strongly - with her whole heart, deeply and sincerely, and will go to the ends of the earth for those she cares about.  I remember being told by many people, when I was about to give birth to my son, that many children feel jealous of a younger sibling and that I should be cognizant of that possibility.  I didn’t believe that fit with her personality, but my husband and I took care to have a “Big Sister” shirt ready and some special toys for her when we brought the baby home.  Those preparations were completely unnecessary.

Lauren adored her brother from the second he was born.  She would ask to hold him whenever he was awake.  I remember being a little worried, (after all, it is me) that his head not be supported or he would fall when she held him as she was only a little girl herself.  But she would sit so carefully on the sofa…. there was no need to worry.  I remember her singing her songs to him, waiting with her arms outstretched so she could hold him tight.  Carefully, I would place my son in her arms and she would support his head with her arm and cradle him closely.  She would barely breath as she wouldn’t want to disturb him.  I never remember him crying when she held him, not once.  I know he felt the love and care she had for him, as she does to this very day.  There was never a time I can think of when the two of them fought.  When they were little, she was like a mother hen watching out for him ~ feeding him Cheerios, playing with him, showing him off.  Now that they are both adults, they support each other, stand up for each other, respect each other and certainly love each other.  It does a Mom’s heart good to watch them together.  I know the pride and love they hold for each other and they are my treasure.  She is as wonderful a sister as she is a daughter and she truly makes my every day filled with joy and gratitude.

So, with my daughter’s birthday just a few days away, my heart is completely filled with love, pride and admiration.  She is strong, smart, and so full of goodness.  She is madly in love with her boyfriend and I believe he knows and appreciates her for the wonderful woman she is.  That mutual respect makes her Dad and I very happy. 

To my precious, precious daughter – I love you with all my heart and wish you a birthday, a year, and a lifetime full of all the love and happiness you bring to the world.  Your smile brightens my world ~ thank you for being you.  Happy Birthday Sweetheart!

My brother’s birthday is also this Thursday.  I am a lucky girl in that I have two wonderful brothers who always looked out for me, as I was “the baby”.  I am a very old baby at this point…

My brother, Freddie, is five years older than me.  When we were young, that seemed huge, but now, not so much.   Through life’s ups and downs, I always know I can count on my brother to be there for me.  He is hysterically funny, incredibly warm-hearted, and his salesmanship talents remind me so much of our Dad.  He is now a grandfather and is so head-over-heels in love with his granddaughter that it makes my heart smile.  (And his granddaughter is truly an amazing little girl – she makes everyone’s heart smile!)

My brother and I have shared so many crazy and wonderful times.  There were funny times when he took me for my driving test and watched in horror as I couldn’t get out of the parking spot to start the test!  Then he watched as I pulled over on the curb when the policeman was ready to ask me the test questions.  He was all ready to console me when I shocked him by jumping out of the car screaming;” I passed!!” “I passed”!!  He would NOT let me drive home!  He was there for my other brother and our family and we were there for each other through devastating loss and incredibly heart-wrenching times.  Other life changes and unexpected difficulties that life sometimes brings were always made more bearable with a tight hug.  During my Dad’s various surgeries and other health issues we would sit and worry together in more hospital waiting rooms than I care to think about.  We would talk things over and make decisions.  We didn’t always agree, but we always knew we had only the very best of intentions, and together, with my Mom and my brother, Ronnie, we would make decisions. 

We laughed together when we were kids and enjoyed Sundays at home, family day, as it was the only day of the week my Dad didn’t go to his store. On Sundays we would watch the Eagles’ games with the family, cheer and scream at the TV during away games, freeze and eat at Veterans Stadium during the home games.  No matter what is going on, I always know my brother is there for me.  He is looking out for me and I always look forward to times spent with him.  I love my brother very much.  Happy Birthday Freddie!

And this year I want to give another happy birthday wish to a man who is probably my brother’s best friend, Cliff.  Cliff and Freddie have known each other for close to 50 years.  Hearing them sing together is a treat ~ “You gotta know when to hold ‘em, know when to fold ‘em”.  They have always supported each other, as friends do, through good and difficult times.  Cliff is going through some rough times now and I want to wish him a happy birthday and hope this year treats him and his wife and family well.

So, with these three people sharing a very special birthday, I want the world to know that this Thursday marks a day that brought goodness, laughter, sunshine and love to our world.  They say good things come in threes…I must say, especially in this instance, I find that to be very true!

No comments: