Tuesday, January 10, 2012

My Nephew's Wedding


Who would have dared to imagine the beauty and the warmth of this particular January weekend?  My nephew’s wedding was held in Long Island, New York.  For about half of those attending, travel was involved and was a definite concern ahead of time.   January is usually very cold, possibly snowy or worse, icy, and usually very unpleasant in the Northeast; but this weekend was amazing.   The sun was strong and bright and the skies were clear.  It was as beautiful as January can be and the wedding followed that lead!

The parents of the groom, my brother and his wife, live in Florida, so we are not physically together as often as we would like.  After a fun, thankfully uneventful, family drive, we checked into the hotel and the excitement of being with everyone set in!  After quickly unpacking so our evening clothes would not wrinkle, we ventured down to the lobby.  The elevator doors opened and as we rounded the corner to the lobby, which was comfortably arranged with deep sofas, chairs and (unfortunately since we are Flyer fans) a constant reply of a Rangers game, I saw my brother walking towards us!  He looked wonderful! Excitement and pride filled his expression, it was a look I truly enjoy seeing on him!  We hugged tightly.

After a delicious lunch filled with wonderful food and even more wonderful conversation as more and more family arrived, we adjourned to our rooms to ‘get ready’ for the wedding!

The wedding and reception were held a short drive from the hotel.  With GPS guidance we pulled into the driveway of a building still warmly lit with beautiful holiday lights.  The structure looked straight out of a storybook.  The entryway led to a lovely chapel adorned with white, cushioned chairs and tea lights.  The soft glow was perfect and as more and more family entered, you could feel the love circulating.  The energy was palpable and the smiles reflected the feeling.

Soft music played as my handsome nephew stood with his best man at the front of the room.  Before long, after being preceded by grandmothers, a maid of honor and my brother and his wife, the bride and her dad walked down the aisle.  My nephew’s eyes smiled with a look of love and happiness.  The bride’s brother had recently become eligible to perform the ceremony just for this special occasion. There were apparently references to the television show, “LOST”, which went over my head as I never watched the series.  (When the bride’s brother referenced an island, I thought he was referring to Long Island, where we were!)  But, the ceremony was lovely and the chapel was filled with smiles when the happy couple were pronounced “Husband and Wife”! 

The reception began with a cocktail hour that offered enough food for ten affairs!  Aside from the tantalizing hors d’oeuvres that were offered by numerous waiters, there was a carving station, chicken marsala, pasta, beef wellington, fruit, cheeses, lentil salads…. I could go on and on!  Suffice it to say, it was both bountiful and beautiful! (And delicious!)

At the conclusion of the cocktail hour, we entered a beautifully lit room filled with white linen. The crystal and tea lit centerpieces provided a perfect atmosphere, a special, soft glow that illuminated the feeling of love in the room.  From salad through wedding cake the meal was beyond amazing.  The band played, the singers welcomed dancing and we certainly answered the call!  By the end of the evening, my feet were throbbing, but my heart was happy.   It had been a lovely affair. 

The wedding was perfect.  The bride and groom were visibly, deeply happy.  The mood of the affair was happy and loving with a delightful energy all its own.  Being with my family, both immediate and slightly expanded was magical and made my heart full.  Sadly, there were obvious “empty chairs” in all our minds.  My nephew and his bride left a loving note at each place setting that perfectly expressed the feeling in each of our hearts, it stated: “In Loving Memory of Joel and Scott ~ To Our Family and Friends ~ As we begin our life together, we look for ways to share our compassion with those we love most.  In lieu of a traditional wedding favor, we have made a donation in your honor to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.  This way, our gift will not only show how much we care about you, but will also share our love with children who are battling cancer at St. Jude. We truly appreciate you being a part of our special day.”

Joel and Scott were brothers of the groom, my nephews’, who both battled cancer with everything they could.  Although they are no longer with us physically, through this note as well as through our thoughts, they were both able to be very present at the wedding.  They each would have been insanely proud and happy, and I know everyone felt their love.  I felt their smiles bright in my mind. 

My Dad, also, would have been bursting with pride, as he would have watched his grandson and his family share this happy occasion.  My brother wore our Dad’s watch in order to enable my Dad’s “hands” to remain close to his throughout the evening.

My nephew’s wedding could not have been more perfectly accomplished.  As it should be at such a special time, love was everywhere.  Even the heavens opened and the unusual warmth of the weather was a reflection of the love given by those “up there”. For all of us who attended the wedding and to you who are attending through this blog, I wish you all the continued appreciation of all those we hold close to our hearts, our family and friends who make each day special.  Life should always be valued and appreciated as it is on “special” occasions.  The beauty of the wedding between my nephew and new niece ~ that beauty, I wish extended to everyone.

Have a joyful day.  Tell those you love how much you love them and remember that everyone you encounter is loved by someone in that same way. 





3 comments:

randi said...

Sharon, I'm sobbing. What a beautiful tribute you wrote and what a beautiful family you have.

A Woman's Room said...

I'm glad you enjoyed my thoughts on the wedding...it was an absolutely beautiful time. I am so thankful for my family and friends.....every single person!!

Anonymous said...

What a great blog!!! Thanks!