Thursday, January 19, 2012

Life Affirming Humor in an Odd Situation!



Last Saturday my husband and I spent the afternoon with my in-laws.  I recently wrote a blog about my in-laws and all of our experiences surrounding my mother in law’s Alzheimer’s diagnosis.  Since the time of that blog, unfortunately, my mother-in-law’s condition has deteriorated.  She now becomes completely confused at times, disoriented, and they are encountering issues with her cooking, a task she is now truly incapable of performing.  The fire department has already been dispatched to their new apartment twice.

Because of this, my husband and I are not only obviously worried about the safety of my in-laws and all of the elderly living in their building, we also have concerns about their nutrition.  We instructed my father-in-law to remove the knobs from their stove so she can no longer use it.  We also told him how vital it is that she be watched constantly.  This, however, brings us all to a new level of concern with their independent living ability, and their ability to eat.  My father-in-law is old school and does not know how to scramble an egg. I wanted to teach him but he doesn’t want to hurt my mother-in-law’s feelings so he refuses to learn.

This brings me back to last Saturday.  We started the day by taking them to lunch at a wonderful little pizza place near their new apartment; a neighborhood establishment that they can go to on their own.  All the ingredients used at 'Jules' are organic and wholesome, while at the same time, truly inexpensive.  They provide water for free and since you choose your pizza at the counter, there is no tipping required.  A great way to not only go out to eat on a budget but also eat healthy since many of the toppings are vegetables!

After lunch, we took them food shopping in order to show my father-in-law the many things available that do not require real “cooking”.  We showed him items found in the frozen food section which may be cooked in the microwave, we pointed out the advantages of cold cereal, instant oatmeal, waffles that heat in the toaster, cold cuts, nutritious bread, and we taught him how to make hot dogs, which he loves, in the microwave. 

After food shopping, we returned to their apartment building, and that is where I viewed a great, life-affirming, hilarious situation!   My husband was parking the car and I was walking up to the apartment with my in-laws.  The hallways are long and wide enough for two people to walk side-by-side easily.  However, my father-in-law was zooming ahead with his walker – he really moves with that thing!  My mother-in-law and I were strolling not too quickly about 20 feet behind him, she leaning on her cane and favoring a toe that was throbbing. 

An elderly woman in a scooter was blocking the hallway as she was speaking with another elderly woman who had the door open to her apartment.  They were chatting away, oblivious to the traffic jam the scooter was causing.  My father-in-law could not get by with his walker and so he nicely said, “Mind if I wiggle by?” to the woman.  That was when they both looked over and noticed him.  (They did not notice my mother-in-law and I still way behind him.)

The woman in the scooter gave him a sly look and said, “You can wiggle by us anytime”!  The woman in the doorway agreed and added, “We like to watch you wiggle!” 

I was floored! I tried not to laugh, but it was simply hysterical and uplifting at the same time!  Here were two women who had to be in their late 80’s flirting with a man “zooming” using his walker!

My mother-in-law didn’t notice the exchange and I didn’t mention it to her.  The women did finally notice us; the woman in the doorway blushed profusely when our eyes met.  I just smiled.

On the ride home, I told my husband what happened in the hallway and he was shocked!  His reaction made me laugh!

Life is to be lived and enjoyed and I applaud these women for their spunk!  My father-in-law was oblivious to their remarks as he is trying so hard just to hold things together.  But the women proved to me that where there’s life, there’s hope.  That we may age, if we’re lucky, but we don’t have to get old.

So, go out there and enjoy!  If you’re young, appreciate it.  If you’re healthy, no matter what your age, revel in it! 

Hope your day is full of life and happy experiences, even in the oddest of circumstances...maybe especially in the oddest of circumstances!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice Pic!!

Anonymous said...

I believe that Alzheimer's (and dementia conditions) are considered to the "The Caregiver's Disease" due to the toll it has on the actual caregivers.
It's intensely difficult to handle. I hope that the US govt's goal of a cure by 2024 comes to fruition.