Thursday, October 6, 2011

Happy Birthday to my Wonderful Son!!




Twenty-three years ago tonight, I ate a steak sandwich with fried onions and tomato sauce.  Now, being that I live near Philadelphia that may not seem very noteworthy, however, I was 9-months pregnant at the time, and that is what makes it so memorable. 

I was due to give birth any time.  My obstetrician had told me for the two weeks prior that I should eat light because I was “ready” to go.  So, for two weeks I ate a lot of scrambled eggs, toast, and soup.  I didn’t go into labor.  By this time, I was sure I wasn’t going to give birth at all!!  So, I couldn’t resist any longer, I ate a steak sandwich.

Within a half hour of devouring the sandwich, twinges began.  I was in my Mom and Dad’s apartment at the time.  My 5-year-old daughter was coloring.  The twinges turned into real labor pains and before I knew it, my husband and I were on our way to the hospital.

During the drive to the hospital, we needed to travel a street that held many memories for me.  We passed the spot were "Teen and Twenty" once stood.  A store where I used to buy all my special occasion dresses.  I remember buying my prom dress there, going for fittings, such happy memories.  From that spot we passed Oswald Drugstore, a landmark store that had been there for decades.  Just being on that street was comforting, even though the pains were coming more and more frequently.

My husband and I arrived at the hospital; my daughter had stayed with my parents in their apartment.  I asked my husband not to drop me off, I didn't want to be left alone.  I told him I was fine to walk.  So, he parked the car and together we walked into the hospital, stopping along the way when a contraction hit.  I remember leaning on him at one point and thinking this walking thing was not my brightest idea.  (Especially when I noticed the hill I needed to climb!)  But, onwards and upwards we went!

I remember being ushered into the birthing room by a curly-haired nurse in a blue uniform.  It was a new idea at the time to not necessarily deliver in an operating room unless one was warranted.  The birthing room looked like a regular hospital room, television and all.  By this time, the 11 o’clock news was just about to start.  I wondered if the fact that I had gone into labor would be the top story, it certainly was to me!

My labor went very fast and there wasn’t even time for medications to take effect.  During David Letterman’s monologue, my son was welcomed into this world!  My son!!  Our son!!  The complete joy of that moment is something I always hold in my heart.  I can still see the tear that flew over the bed as my husband, who had been next to me holding my hand, heard the announcement that we now had a boy, a son.  The doctor lifted my son and as she placed him gently in my arms, I could have sworn I had just given birth to my father.  My son’s newly born face looked so much like my Dad!

We were allowed to remain in the room, just the 3 of us, for a little while, to bond.  As if my son didn’t already own my heart!  I asked for a phone (cell phones didn’t exist yet) and called my parents.  I asked them if my beautiful daughter was still awake.  Thankfully, she was, as she couldn’t fall asleep being that she was so excited!  They put her on the phone and I told her she now had a baby brother.  She was overjoyed, and still is!!  I can still hear the happiness in her little voice!!  My parents were laughing and crying and with that I had to hang up.  They said they’d see us all very soon.

From that minute on, my son has been a source of pride, love, joy and everything wonderful.  He puts up with my worrying and has the most amazing sense of humor.  He is brilliant and kind and cares about the world.  He loves learning and loves travelling.  He appreciates varied cultures, knows more geography than anyone I've ever met and excels at everything he puts his mind to.  He is living 4 hours away now, with his beautiful girlfriend.  He is working hard, working toward his PhD, so that one day he might find himself working with a team that finds a cure for Cancer.  I couldn’t be more proud.

Twenty-three years ago tonight, the world was made a better, more beautiful, place.  It may not have made the news that night, but my son has brightened every minute of my life since that miraculous time.

Happy Birthday, Babe!  I love you with all my heart.  I wish you a full, long, lifetime of good health, love, success and happiness – may all the joy, love, happiness and inspiration you bring every day come back to you always!

No comments: