Friday, July 8, 2011

Unemployment woes

Okay, so I'm 53.  I realize I'm not young, but I'm not old either!  I had a job interview last week.  I was very excited since I not only knew people who worked at this company, I knew I was absolutely, positively right for the job.  I have all the qualifications and then some.  My experience in an almost identical position, doing the almost identical work, was successful and those who worked at this location knew me and recommended me.  So, did I get the job?  No.....they "passed" on me.  That was the word from the nice woman in HR.  Passed on me, like I was a fruit salad!  Why?  Because the system I worked at previously was too sophisticated and they didn't feel I would be able to work through the problems on a less sophisticated one.  Actually, their impression is completely off.  I did work with one system that was more sophisticated, but I also worked with one that was probably less sophisticated, and I told them so during the interview!  And, in any case, the first woman who interviewed me (about 30 ish) who would be my boss, said that no one outside the company knows their system and anyone would have to learn it.  So, I am left with a few options. Either they just didn't like me personally OR my age worked against me.

I am so frustrated!  Just had to vent.


No comments: