Thursday, December 17, 2015

This War on Christmas is Exhausting!!





It’s still dark in the morning when I get in my car and head to the store where I work. I have no choice but to wear a Christmas (holiday), red and white T-Shirt (normal is black and blue). This year’s Christmas (holiday) shirt consists of George Washington wearing a Christmas (holiday) cap. Our extended Christmas (holiday) hours exist to “make it easier” for the customers to get their Christmas (oops, I mean holiday again) shopping done. The fact that the extra hours of operation multiplied by the hundreds of stores brings in millions of extra dollars, ah, that’s just a side issue.



The fog has been extremely thick these early mornings due to the crazy warm December weather we’ve been having on the east coast ~ of course global climate change has nothing to do with that circumstance, (fa lalalala lala la la) ~ the drive is extra tricky and quite nerve racking.



Turning into the parking lot, I steal my thoughts and garner my energy. Eight hours is a long time to stand, day after day, continuously bagging large orders. The parking lot lights visible through the fog are decorated with Christmas (oops, I mean holiday) trees. The Christmas (holiday) garland is wrapped ever so tightly around each and every lamp pole making them look all ready for the Christmas (holiday) season.



Walking into the store, I trip over a box of to be unpacked Christmas (oops, there I go again), HOLIDAY ornaments. They will have to be squeezed into the already stuffed ENTIRE front section of the store that is full of Christmas (holiday) wrapping paper, pajamas, stockings, neck ties, cups, lawn decorations, gift bags, Santas, Reindeer, candy and other assorted Christmas, (holiday) stock. Wow, this war on Christmas is exhausting. Meanwhile, the Hanukkah end cap has wrapping paper with stars of David and a few mugs that say Oy. That’s it. There is nothing for Kwanza. That’s our “Holiday” section!!!!



After regaining my balance, I slide through the additional wall of Christmas (holiday) socks, gift tags, and gift boxes to make my way to the register. First thing I have to do is turn on the Christmas (holiday) music. Songs that mention sleigh rides and silver bells are one thing, but wow, that war on Christmas is really evident when all the songs that mention Jesus start playing! (Can you imagine a song mentioning Allah or Moses????? Me neither.)



To the tune of “Oh Holy Night”, I count the cash at my register as the Christmas (holiday) shoppers start their daily gift buying pilgrimage. Many customers this year are wearing a pin that says, “It’s okay to wish me a Merry Christmas”. To those people, just so you know, I will wish you a great day…no mention of Christmas will come from my lips because of your sanctimonious attitude. It’s very hard to feel bad for your holiday being under attack when everything Christmas is bombarding my senses from blinking red and green lights, songs about Santa, and Christmas just existing all around me!



I only wish those same people, wearing that pin, would be as willing to heed what I always thought to be the REAL, true meaning of Christmas all year round and not fight raising the minimum wage or having universal healthcare; in other words, REALLY caring about their fellow men and those less fortunate. But I guess the powers that be, those that make and promote slogans like a War on Christmas, don’t push that because there’s no profit in it.





At our store, we collected toys for two Christmas (holiday) charities. One charity gives toys to military families and the other is Toys for Tots. I think it’s really wonderful that we collect for these charities, don’t get me wrong, but what about needy children that may not be Christian? Should a retail store make it a point to accept donations all year round for all faiths? How about atheist children? How about poor children who can’t afford school supplies or birthday gifts all through the year? Wouldn’t that be a great “pro-life” thing to do? Also, shouldn’t the store give a discount if a person is donating to a charity? Isn’t it funny how the charities chosen coincide with the store’s profit motive? I ask the customers, would you like to donate to Toys for Tots? The customers say yes, they pick an item or two to donate, I ring it up at full price and put it in the box. Great for the kids, and I am happy for that….but also, really great for the company!! I am sorry, but I don’t call that charity, I call it-increased sales. The donation, in my opinion, should at least be given at a discount…but I digress.



Also, apparently, December 25th isn’t even Jesus’ birthday! Jesus was most likely born in March or November, not December. The only reason December 25th was chosen was apparently because it was already a popular day in Pagan religious celebrations as the birthday of the sun. Go figure ~ birthday of the sun or birthday of THE Son, hmmmm.) So, just like the trees, much of the celebration is a pagan holiday, so don’t get so insulted!!



The stress on the faces of so many customers this time of the year is apparent. They are stretched to the limit with not enough time, not enough money, and they get exasperated easily. Some people, on the other hand, are honestly very charming. I can see the holiday spirit in their faces, and they have yet to be wearing the pin telling me to wish them a Merry Christmas. They buy hundreds of dollars worth of toys to give to needy people in their Church. I truly admire that. To those folks, I will absolutely wish them a Merry Christmas, for they are showing the spirit of what the holiday is supposed to be about.



After my shift, I walk over the mess of the store and stop in the grocery store to pick up a few things for dinner. There, the Christmas (holiday) music is also blaring, the Christmas, (holiday) specials are piled by the entrance, the Christmas (holiday) aisle is straight in front of me, full of decorations, plates, candy, cards, lights……I go home, look for something to watch on tv…there’s Christmas specials, Christmas movies…..beautiful and charming and I absolutely love them, but don’t you see, there is no war on Christmas!!!!!!!



If there was really a war on Christmas, wow, we non-Christians are losing it badly. To all those who feel the need to substitute Christmas for holidays I say get a life. We all know your holiday rules this time of year, including you, and that’s fine. Being inclusive in the word only makes it a bit more enjoyable for those of us who don’t share the massive celebration. Preaching good will toward men while attempting to ban a religion that isn’t yours from entering our country, and cutting benefits for needy children, isn’t in keeping with the words you speak, the words you want respect for in your holiday celebrations. The “holidays” include New Years, think of it that way. There is no war on Christmas, the war exists nowhere but in your minds and on Fox news. Your holiday is THE holiday, we all live it ~ we get off work for it, even if we don’t celebrate it…we can’t shop or go out to eat on it (except for Chinese food) because the world shuts down. You don’t have to use your personal time for your holidays like the rest of us do. So be a bit giving this time of year and stop with your preaching of a war on Christmas when the world has exploded in an array of red, green, tinsel, and over-worked retail employees whose Christmas bonus consists of aching feet and a cookie.



The meaning of Christmas that I grew up with is a meaning that consisted of brotherhood, of kindness, of good will. The trumped up (I can’t believe I used that word) notion of a War on Christmas is a tactic, and way too many are falling for it. The only reason those of us who do not share in your holiday would like some small bit of accommodation is because in our country there is majority rule, with respect for minority rights. You are the majority, that doesn’t give you the right to force your Christmas off everyone’s lips. Donald Trump saying, if he’s elected everyone will say Merry Christmas, is against EVERYTHING we stand for in our country. Don’t let their manipulations allow you to lose sight of that. You don’t have the right to feel abused because your holiday IS everywhere, abuse doesn’t mean those who don’t celebrate it have to participate. So, let’s get back to the meaning of Christmas, share peace and love and good will toward ALL men. Let’s stop the endless chatter about a ridiculous war on Christmas and start fighting the war that does exist, the war on decency, respect, science and compassion. We’ll ALL be better off if we fight THAT war.





Thank you……and Happy ALL the Holidays.

No comments: