Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Morning Coffee, Morning Thoughts



It’s cold in the house this morning.  This December has been unusually warm so far.  I am not complaining; that’s for sure.  However, this morning is rainy and chilly and it happens to be an excellent morning to sit back and truly enjoy my steaming hot cup of coffee while I do what I love, write. 

As I sit here, appreciating the warmth of the coffee, I have a few minutes to reflect, a rarity, as most mornings require running around, getting things done and getting out of the house. 

Since I lost my job, my better paying job, life has changed.  I am lucky in that unlike others who have lost their jobs, mine was definitely secondary.  My husband pays most all of the bills and I only need to contribute a small amount which my part-time job covers.  I am also extremely thankful that healthcare is one of the benefits of his position.  I can’t imagine how anyone who was laid-off and doesn’t have those benefits, exists. 

I am also exceptionally lucky to have a wonderful friend as my manager.  My friend, who hired me “until you find something else”, which now happens to be over a year ago, is a considerate, intelligent woman. I enjoy working with her.  She’s energetic, thoughtful, and always pleasant.  She has a heart as big as the universe.  The store where we work is close to home and most customers, most, are happy and pleasant.  I am thankful.

But, life has definitely changed.  The vacations, clothes, cars, and just general day-to-day expenses are no longer purchased without great thought and deliberation.  For example, my daughter needs to update her laptop.  A few years ago, I would have simply purchased the MacBook Pro she truly needs without a second thought.  Now, it’s not that easy.

With the holidays just around the corner, both Chanukah and Christmas, I used to enjoy and look forward to shopping for everyone.  I would shop for just the right gift, a gift that would touch the heart of the recipient; I wouldn't give much thought to price. Just seeing the look of joy as someone special opened their gift was my selfish pleasure.  When I would see that light of “wow, you really do know me”, I would feel happy.  Now, that same shopping is frustrating.  I find what I know the person on my list would love, but just can’t buy it. 

With my situation being one of the luckier financial ones considering the plight of the unemployed, it’s no wonder the economy isn’t picking up as quickly as it could.  When I think of the millions of unemployed and under-employed people, people who were middle management, like me, who are now working for so much less, it’s not surprising that demand is down.  With people spending less, companies need to produce fewer items, to produce fewer items they need less employees and the cycle continues its downward spiral.

I suppose what this is leading me to is the fact that unless the economy is stimulated, unless money is pumped into the economy, into the hands of the average citizen, not removed from them; the long-term situation will not improve.  I resent being told by some that this is the time our government needs to cut back.  No, wrong!  When corporations are sitting on trillions of dollars of profit, not hiring, getting by without risking anything, keeping us down, this is the time for our government to spend. 

Ours is a government for and by the people.  The people need help.  Our government needs to remember that they represent the people, not the corporations.  For despite what some say, corporations are NOT people.  When GE needs a colonoscopy, let me know, until then, forget it.

I think I need a second cup of coffee………..

Have a great day~

No comments: